Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Reaching out to the Families of Scotland


Lord willing we will move to Scotland in the summer of 2010. I see my goals for Scotland as very similar to what I think my goals would be if I was working with a church in the states. Scotland is hurting for strong Christian leadership in their families just like America is. My first objective will be to figure out what their current way of doing things is. I see no need to come right in and begin to change things that are already working. In the beginning I am there to learn and observe. Something that struck me was the fact that an entire generation of young adults was missing from the church there. That means that the church will begin to die out soon unless we can begin to reach out to this missing generation. I think our team fits perfectly into that role because who better to reach out to young adults than a team full of young adults.
Another goal I have is to be able to get to know each member intimately. The churches in Scotland are small enough (20 -30 people) that it allows for some real one on one time with the members. A goal I have in doing this is to learn about each member and to find out about what each of them brings to the table. Some might be good at relating to the youth group but maybe have never been asked to do so. Some might be very good at personal evangelism and bible study. I hope to help them discover their spiritual gifts that God has blessed them with and to help them use and develop those gifts for the glory of God. We have used several good Spiritual Giftedness tests here at school, and I hope to use some of those with the Scottish brothers and sisters as we begin our work together. I would also like to use some form of these tests with the youth of the church. The earlier they can see the gifts that God has given the better.
I want to build very close relationships with the elders of that church. Jenny and I were blessed during our time in Scotland to stay with an elder and his wife. Dick and Anne were an amazing couple who really taught us a lot about what the needs are of the church there. Dick is very open to fresh and new ideas and I really see us getting along very well together. There are only three elders in the congregation there, but this will help to be able to get to know them very well. Jenny and I plan to spend time in their homes and to learn as much as we can from them. I see the need for these men to be actively involved with the youth and their families. I want to work with them to design curriculums and teaching materials for the youth.
The church in Scotland regularly meets in each other’s homes on Thursday nights for their mid-week service. So I would try to find an additional time to meet as just the youth. Maybe this could happen on a Tuesday night every other week. It would need to be flexible with their schedules. My goal at the meetings would be to cover the issues that the teens are facing in school and with their friends. I think the format of this would not be like a regular Sunday morning church class. It would need to be more interactive and filled with application and practical things that they could take with them. I also see this meeting as a great way to help them reach out to their friends. This type of environment would be great to bring their friends along to. I want to be sure to stress to the youth the importance of reaching out to their friends with the Gospel of Christ. They need to understand the circle of influence that each of them have. This will help not only to grow the youth group but it will also help to light a fire under the parents when they see that it actually can be done! I know that it is a lot easier to make plans than it is to actually get them done. I understand the importance of being flexible with all plans that are made, especially those that are made before we get to the field. I know with God’s help we can accomplish great things for his kingdom in Scotland!

No comments: